Hockey Reference | Showing Comments:
statgoon81

4/22/17 1:56 PM Quote
I'm watching the first round playoffs on NBC. St. Louis @ Minnesota, period two, Blues lead series 3-1 and are leading this game as I write, 2-1. Wild netminder Dubnyk makes a save but is out of position to defend the quick rebound on the other side. Defenseman Jared Spurgeon covers for him, making a skate save while positioned in the crease.

This play is credited as a shot on goal, but Dubnyk--I don't believe--gets credit for the save. And I've never heard of a case where a skater gets credited with a save. Spurgeon would be credited with a blocked shot but I think hockey statisticians should credit players who block shots in cases where there is no goalie behind him--making him, in effect, the de facto netminder--with a SAVE. This would also allow the accounting of shots/saves to balance.

I remember Scott Stevens of the Capitols making a nice save with the defenseman version of the goalie's "two-pad stack" on an open net shot (goalie was pulled) by Bryan Trottier in the 1985 playoffs against the Islanders.

Scott currently coaches Spurgeon and the Wild defensemen, by the way.

In this discussion