Question Regarding Real-Life Signings | Showing Comments:
Replayer1994
9/11/16 12:39 PM Quote

Hello all,

To start I'll explain my reasoning behind my concern. I'm executing a cards and dice replay using the 98-99 Rangers. It is as-played in the sense that I'm following real life transactions and trades. My roster (and my opponents) will represent their real life rosters at the time the game was played. Lineups and roster management is manually done by myself though, as long as the player was on the roster at that time.

Upon researching each team's trades and transactions in the 98-99 season I noticed some teams re-signing players midway throughout the season. Some of these re-signings are extensions, some aren't. I just want to clarify: the contract extension re-signing vs the straight up re-signing means that the player was holding out until the re-signing? 

An example: Ziggy Palffy was re-signed to a 5 year contract by the Isles on Dec. 17, 1998. I researched about a dozen boxscores from that season and it appears that Palffy really didn't play a single game until that signing. Since it was a re-signing I figured he was still on the team before Dec. 17 and he just extended. But apparently not?

In a re-signing extension example that wasn't the case. Cliff Ronning re-signed a 2 year contract extension on Feb. 7, 1999. He was playing well before then though and he played almost the entire season.

So basically what I'm asking: What exactly does it mean when a player re-signs vs a player re-signing an extension? I understand with the contract extension the player is already under contract with the team and he is just extending his contract. But when he straight up re-signs...he was always part of the team but just not under contract?

Thanks. I basically just want to know if I can dress Palffy for NY in my next game, or if technically he shouldn't be on the team until Dec. 17th.

In this discussion