Dean-Tolleson Adjuster | Showing Comments:
statgoon81

3/3/19 4:00 PM Quote
I've been continuing "Goon's Gargantuan Guides to Gaming" with another great thread posted in the basement. I recently completed my 1982 American League S-O-M guide, a 38 page bonanza for the thinking man's gamer. A feast for the hungry minded S-O-M'er who can't find satisfaction anywhere else--least of all from the moribund game company.

I'm working on my 1982 National League S-O-M guide. I started with the Cardinals. In the "More Pitcher Info" section, I document the Cardinals pitchers as hitters.

Here's the '82 Redbirds overall pitcher hitting stats:

PA------438
AB------373
R--------21
H--------45
2B--------4
3B--------3
HR--------0
RBI------13
BB-------10
SH-------53
SF--------1
HBP-------1
GDP-------5
ROE-------5

BA------.121
OBP-----.146
SLG-----.147

This overall hitting performance by the 1982 Cardinals pitchers was not wothy of giving most of those guys chances to hit off the pitcher card 50 percent of the time, which will elevate their stats by a healthy percentage.

I posted the simple adjustments in that thread. 9 of the 14 Cardinals pitchers needed to be adjusted below the level of the combined pitcher's hitting card #1W and 50 percent pitchers card outcome.

For pitchers who hit below that Dean-Tolleson Line, I roll a d20 instead of a d6 to determine what percentage is used to read result from pitcher card or not. d6 will only determine which column on PHC #1 to read from EXCEPT for X-chart chances when pitcher had at least one ROE and for homerun chances when pitcher-as-hitter had at least one homerun in real life.

For example, when Cardinals pitcher Steve Mura bats, his PHC #1 card has the [16] designation because he hit .057 and will have 80 percent outcomes read off #1WR card. But on result of 1-16 as well as 17-20 as usual in Mura's case--from d20, scan pitcher card for fielder-X because Mura had one ROE. If no error results, default column result to PHC #1 card. In this case d6 4, 5, or 6 result can be interpreted as 1, 2, or 3.

For homerun example, Larry Christenson of the Phillies is rated #1NR because he hit one homerun. But he hit just .075, so his Dean-Tolleson designation is [15]. But on the d20 11-15 rolls--along with the usual 16-20 in Christenson's case--apply pitcher card homerun chances when they occur for Christenson because he's rated normal power.

Then we notice that Chrisenson had 3 ROE in 67 at bats, for an outstanding reached-on-error adjustment number (multiplication number for error probability) of 3.061-823, so he's eligible for 50/50 factor on pitcher card X-chances because he had at least one ROE in 1982.

For pitchers who zero out completely, a [20] roll designation is applied. (Entirely read off #1 hitting card). For pitchers who fell below the Dean-Tolleson Line to a minimal degree, a [11] roll designation might be applied. And so forth.

In S-O-M gamer parlance, Dean-Tolleson hitters are often referred to as D-T Liners.

In this discussion