Revisionist Gaming: The Opener | Showing Comments:
statgoon81

12/6/18 10:21 PM Quote
We've seen great changes in how baseball is played, especially in just the past few years. The 2018 Tampa Bay Rays--a team with a low payroll--won 90 games with a young group of players by applying analytics to their pitching staff usage. Due to their success, those Rays had several members of their brain trust poached by other MLB teams in the off-season. The '18 Rays were the first team in MLB history to use starters as openers on a regular basis. As regular as one can imagine, given the many juxtopositions that can make such intensified bullpen use prohibitive due to the 25 man roster limitation.

We use analytics to simulate retro games as well. With steely-eyed determination, we have methodically and meticulously crafted rules, charts, and tables that assist in the application of gaming analytics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have so far:

(1)-Pitcher Regulation Tables (Pre-game/pre-series set-up)
(2)-Yank Numbers With Innings Max (In-game pitcher regulation. Pitch count simulator)
(3)-Pitcher Balance Numbers (Used for lineup regulation/platoon designations)
(4)-Hitter Balance Numbers (Reference guide/doctored card identifier)
(5)-Pickoff Numbers (Individualized with rules for revamping pitcher errors)
(6)-MAS Numbers (For "bad" base stealers who'd otherwise zero out on their stealing stats).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an example, we can go back to 1982 and apply present day analytics to game simulation.

Pittsburgh's Greasefire Gang--when selected from the starters section of the pitcher regulation tables--may often be used as openers, with no intention of going too far with them.

1982 Pirates Greasefire Gang comprised four starting pitchers who combined for 29 starts.

(1)-Eddie Solomon-------10 starts---958 OPS--{CR}
(2)-Ross Baumgarten----10 starts--914 OPS--{CR}
(3)-Paul Moskau----------5 starts-----845 OPS--{CR}
(4)-Tom Griffin----------4 starts-------1012 OPS--[subcarded]

Unlike the 2018 Rays, these four pitchers' values are set in stone. They will often be used as openers because we know they will cost the '82 Pirates the chance to win games if left in until too much damage has occurred. We can remove them after one batter during times when Pirates have enough eligible bullpenners of serviceable to excellent quality. And we can do this with confidence in game integrity due to our outlined regulations.

Those '82 Bucs finished 8 games back of the Cardinals in the NL East. With retro analytics, they've got a decent shot to win the division in replay.

There's tremendous strategy. Risk-reward. The tables add clarity and ease of play. If gamers go too far in their abuse of their bullpens, there's the forfeit rule in effect if teams run out of eligible bullpenners. While MLB has no such thing, I like the rule for our simulation. I've never had to apply it but if I do, I'll post that with details.

In this discussion