My Solo Project: Hall of Famer on a Lousy Team | Showing Comments:
banny
8/25/18 5:36 AM Quote

I thought I'd share my latest solo strat project.  I took Babe Ruth's HOF cards, both for hitting and pitching, and pretended that he is a new rookie joining what was a terrible team.  I picked the 1979 Oakland A's, who won just 54 games, and lost 108.  I put Ruth in the rotation, and have also pitched him out of the bullpen a couple of times.  On the mound, he is 1-2 with a bunch of no decisions, and a  2.47 ERA.  He is doing better at the plate: 46-123, for a .374 ave.  8 doubles, 5 triples, 8 homers.  9k's, 26 walks.  28 runs scored, 33 batted in.  He leads the team in several categories, which you'd expect, but surprisingly, not in home runs. Tony Armas leads with 13.

I'm using the vintage '79 cards, and to keep things as simple as possible, I ignore injuries.  I use the lefty/righty sides, and the advanced fielding charts, but don't do ballpark or weather stuff.  Ruth helps, but the pitching is terrible. My only good pitcher is Dave Hamilton, who is 5-1, with a 1.70 ERA.

In Ruth's last start against Detroit, he pitched great until the 8th. He then gave up a single and two walks to load the bases. I took a chance and left him in, and Ron LeFlore hit a grand slam.  Unbelieveably, Craig Minnetto came on in relief, and gave up a second granny to Aurelio Rodriguez in the SAME INNING!  Oakland has a 24-29 record currently.  When this is over, I might pick another HOF'er and do a National League season, but I'll probably keep the DH, as it saves time not having to mess around with pitcher's hitting cards.

In this discussion