1982: Yankees @ Royals Preview | Showing Comments:
statgoon81

6/7/18 11:56 AM Quote
I rode my bicycle up a few blocks to a cozy little ice arena tucked between its parking lots in the front and an 18 hole golf course immediately behind it. The arena is a public recreation centre located in that cul-de-sac.

I have a crate on the back of the bike to transport items such as my Strat gaming materials.

I locked my bike up at the far entrance at a little after 11am and walked in.

This rec center features two regulation size skating rinks. Between those rinks, there's a downstairs area for locker rooms, bathrooms, vending machines, maintenance garage, etc. and the upstairs area for seating, small concessions when events are being held, more vending machines, a television set (local channels only), and a courtesy phone.

This is one of my favorite Strat Sanctuaries when I'm in the mood for remote/public Strat gaming. I bring all my laminated booklets of home brewed tables and listen to sportstalk radio on my smartphone while analyzing the cards and charts for this or that specialized player regulation need or whatever else. If I were extending my stay to play out the game itself, I'd call for delivery from a nearby sandwich shop or pizza joint.

I sat down with my Strat stuff at one of the two expansive bench/table combos located up against the wall facing the parking lot. It has the feel of a remote area as I look out the windows. There's a big, grassy hill that conveniently blocks the view and noise of the busy streets on the other side, making it seem peaceful and undisturbed where I'm at.

This morning, I only intend to set up the available starters for this three games series as well as the five relievers to be selected for game one. Then set the starting lineups for game one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the results, chosen by probability dice roll:

Yankees starters

*lefty

Guidry*
Morgan
Rawley*

Yankees relievers:

Frazier
LaRoche*
R.May*
Gossage
John*

Tommy John started 26 games and relieved in 4. His not being chosen to start any game of this series left him eligible for the relief pool. d1000 was between 952 and 968, making him an eligible reliever for this game.

His relief Yank Number is 1.250 and his relief Innings Max is (2). Similar to Guidry, John has balance number of 105 R. A "mixed" player, John uses Tom Brennan (RFL) and Chico Escarrega (CFR) as subs for his splits, with some strikeouts and (gb)B's converted to (gb)A's.

Royals starters:

Blue*
Leonard
Gura*

Royals relievers:

G.Jackson*
Hood*
Armstrong
Quisenberry
Tufts*

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Starting lineups for game one:

Yankees versus Vida Blue

Randolph 2b
Griffey cf
Winfield rf
Mazzilli 1b
Piniella If
Mayberry dh
Nettles 3b
Cerone c
Dent ss

----------------------------------------------------------

Vida Blue balance number: 167 R

Favorable for lefty hitters' Griffey, Mayberry, & Nettles

-------------------------------------------------------

Winfield was not rated for rightfield but plays there without penalty of a range downgrade in simulation because:

a) S-O-M does not account for fielder deployment nuances particular to asymmetric parks. Winfield had the best range of Yankee outfielders so he patrolled the biggest part of his home park, which was left/leftcenter.

b) Using game one of this series as an example, Lou Piniella is rated 4 in right, 3 in left, so it makes sense to play him at his better rated position.

c) Rightfield was Winfield's natural position, he was rated a 1 in rf by Strat in their 1977 SADV set, the most recent-to-1982 MLB season reissued by S-O-M.

d) It's generally understood that it is advantageous to put the fielder with the best arm in right instead of left because of the -2/+2 leftfield/rightfield subtraction/addition to runner speed from first to third on singles. Winfield's -5 arm will prevent runners from attempting to go from first to third on singles. The big arm in right is less in need of the shorter (-2 to arm rating) throw.

But the Yankees did not play Winfield in right on the road. I think they did that for the sake of continuity.

More...

In this discussion