Fletcher Gassed In Minny | Showing Comments:
statgoon81

4/23/18 8:57 PM Quote
Chuck Fletcher's contract was not renewed.

He just completed nine years as GM of the Wild.

Chuck, I'm very aware of your father, Cliff. I know all about the great trades he made in Calgary and Toronto. He signed Jamie Macoun as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State University and signed undrafted free agent Colin Patterson as well.

Cliff Fletcher drafted Al MacInnis and Mike Vernon. Most of the rest of their 1988-89 Cup contributors were acquired in great trades by Cliff Fletcher (HHOF 2004).

Chuck, you are no Cliff Fletcher.

Chuck Fletcher drafted defenceman Nick Leddy in the first round out of the University of Minnesota. Good move. Not a great defenceman, but a good one for years now. So what does Chuck do? He gifted Leddy to the rival Blackhawks for some stiff named Cam Barker, who was nothing but a bust and salary cap hindrance to Chicago.

Then he gives in to the wishes of Suter/Parise by bringing them both in with huge contracts. One of those 'I'll sign if he comes with me' deals- with-the-devil.

The Parise contract has been the anchor contract that has been the real killer.

Then Chuck gives up good prospects like Alex Tuch to Vegas in exchange for an agreement that the Golden Knights would not claim Matt Dumba in the expansion draft. He also allowed Vegas to obtain Eric Haula, who has also produced well. Foolish general managers wanted to appease their existing roster of players by making such agreements. No wonder Vegas is hotly challenging for the Stanley Cup. George McPhee was the cheshire cat holding the cards, then was handed more cards.

(Chicago GM Stan Bowman gave into the wishes of his star players by trading Artemi Panerin for their old buddy Branden Saad, who was not good this year).

Chuck Fletcher made poor coaching hires as well.

Like his predecessor Doug Risebrough, who made horrendous trades in Calgary as Cliff Fletcher's successor and went with a "win now" (anti-tank) approach by hiring Jacques Lamaire (too good a coach for an expansion team), Chuck Fletcher was a poser. A better guy than the feisty and fraudulent Risebrough, but an empty poser nonetheless.

Minnesota was dismissed in the first round by the Winnipeg Jets, ending the tenure of a GM who likely got the job because of his last name.

In this discussion