statgoon81

7/26/17 12:16 PM Quote
Heard On The Radio

7-24-17

TSN 690 Montreal

Mitch Melnick Show

Audio Clip

Guest: Former MLB player Vance Law

It was nice to hear from a guy I don't believe I have ever heard interviewed before. Vance Law joined the Melnick In The Afternoon show to talk mostly about his time with the Expos and his former teammate Tim Raines, who will soon be inducted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Vance, who attended BYU in Provo, Utah, had nothing but great things to say about Tim Raines, saying that he was a great guy and great teammate, always upbeat and fun loving.

Vance loved the fans in Montreal and said they treated him very well. He played in Montreal from 1985-1987.

I've got that '87 Strat season. Here's Vance Law's fielding: 2b-3 e16/ 1b- 3e14/ 3b-3 e12. Good utility player and hit fairly well in '82, '85, '87, and '88.

I've got the 1982 season (in case you haven't heard). Vance was rated ss-4 e40/ 3b-4 e34/ 2b-4 e71/ lf-4(+3) e25. But he hit well, is clutch, and the Sox did not have a shortstop who could field better than him that year ('82 & '83 featured the "winning ugly" White Sox. I love that 1982 White Sox Strat team.

I've got the 1981 cards when Vance played for the Pirates. He was an uncarded utility man with 67 at bats. His .134 average with just 2 walks and zero homeruns makes him a fine candidate for the Pitcher Hitting Card #1, his values are very close to the 1981 Dean-Tolleson Line. For fielding, I go with his 1982 ratings.

Vance was asked about his father, 1960 World Series winner and Cy Young Award winner Vern Law. The subject turned to the times that Vance got to pitch in games where he was needed in blowouts, so as to rest the regular pitchers.

I didn't know it, but Vance Law made seven appearances as a pitcher over three seasons (1986, 1987, and 1991). He pitched eight innings total with an E.R.A. of 3.38, which he can joke is better than his father's career E.R.A. of 3.77

But he said his father responds by saying his World Series batting average of .333 is better than Vance's career batting average.

Good hearing from Vance. Nice fella.

In this discussion